NR1817

NEWS RELEASE                                                                                                                AUGUST 2013

Many New Refinery Projects Are In the Developing Countries

Refinery projects totaling hundreds of billions of dollars are underway in countries which were formerly just oil producers. These projects along with oil and gas, tar sands and other refining projects are tracked in Oil, Gas, Shale and Refining Markets and Projects, a service provided by the McIlvaine Company.

Name

Location

Scope

Insights

Abreu e Lima

Venezuela

$5 billion

To complete project. $17 billion already invested.

Jawzjan

Afghanistan

$700 million

To be completed in 2015 in partnership with FMC Oil and Gas.

Akabuyo

Nigeria

$7.5 billion by

Sino Arab energy

First phase next year and completion in 2019.

Bahrain

Bahrain

Sulfur recovery unit modification

Technip to complete project in second half of 2014.

Cartagena

 

Columbia

$500 million modernization

This is final stage of upgrade program by Ecopetrol.

Comperj

Brazil

Refinery and petrochemical

Part of $ 236 billion program.

Dung Quat

Vietnam

130,000 bpd upgrade

Will upgrade rather than expand.

Al-Ahmadi

Kuwait

$15 billion refinery

Foster Wheeler has contract.

Mina Abdullah

Kuwait

$15 billion refinery

Foster Wheeler has contract.

Moscow

Russia

6 million tpy expansion

Foster Wheeler has FEED contract.

Mthombo

South Africa

Embryronic planning stage of large refinery at Port Elizabeth

Agreement between PetroSA and the Sinopec Group.

Paldiski

Estonia

$3 billion new refinery

Ukraine-based DMSS is planning the investment.

Talara

Peru

$1.7 billion upgrade

Increase oil production to 95,000 barrels a day.

Refineria del Pacifico

Ecuador

$13 billion new refinery

Petroecuador, will own 51%, the remaining 49% owned by PdVSA.

 

There are a number of projects in South America including a $13 billion project in Ecuador. In the Middle East, there are many projects including two by Kuwait totaling $30 billion. Nigeria and South Africa are two African countries with considerable project activity.

These projects typically involve a coordinated sales effort. The owner is likely to be in one country while the engineering company is in another country. The EPC contractor can be in a third country and the plant location in a fourth country. The sale of common components such as pumps and valves may also entail pursuing sub-system contractors in multiple countries.

For more information on Oil, Gas, Shale and Refining Markets and Projects, click on: http://home.mcilvainecompany.com/index.php/markets/28-energy/471-n049