NEWS RELEASE May 2018
$180 billion Market for Combust, Flow and Treat for Gas Turbines
Operators of simple cycle and combined cycle gas turbine plants will spend $180 billion per year for hardware, consumables, instrumentation and services on an annual basis over the next 10 years.
The industry capacity worldwide will only be growing at 3 percent per year. However, there will be upgrades to improve efficiency and meet environmental regulations plus replacement of valves, pumps and other hardware which bring yearly expenditures for outside services and hardware to $180 billion /yr.
Some of the key findings in the McIlvaine research for several services is
- Gas turbine capacity will grow faster than coal capacity but installed coal capacity will continue to exceed that of gas.
- Solar and wind capacity will grow at a faster rate than gas but will still account for a minority share of world generation capacity.
- New materials and components can be acquired to improve plant efficiency and reduce costs even in a frequent cycling environment where flow accelerated corrosion and other challenges are encountered.
- A number of simple cycle plants will be upgraded with a steam cycle.
- Zero liquid discharge wastewater systems are being employed where water is scarce and or discharge emission limits are stringent.
- Municipal wastewater will be increasingly used as a water source.
- The valve and pump opportunity at existing plants when including both replacements and repairs will be six times greater than the new plant opportunity.
- Problems such as encountered with desuperheaters will require substantial investment.
- Costs of new SCR and replacement catalyst will be significant.
- Third party O&M of gas turbine power plants will accelerate based on low cost of sensors, wireless transmitters and improving value of data analytics.
- The largest power plant owners and third-party operators will account for most of the purchases.
Details on the future markets and identification of existing plants and tracking of new projects is included[RM1] in 59EI Gas Turbine and Reciprocating Engine Supplier Program
A decision program for feedwater and wastewater treatment for gas turbine plants is included in 59D Gas Turbine and Reciprocating Engine Decisions
The opportunity for remote O&M and advisory services is analyzed in N031 Industrial IOT and Remote O&M