NEWS RELEASE November 2017
Municipal Wastewater Treatment and Power Plant Environmental Technology Interconnection will expand Wisdom
Wisdom gained in reducing pollutants from power plants can be used to improve municipal wastewater plant performance and vice versa. IIoT promises to interconnect things. Suez, operating a number of treatment plants from a center in France, can be making adjustments to blowers in a plant in Chile to reduce energy consumption and improve nutrient removal. MHPS operating power plants from a center in the Philippines can make adjustments to blowers to improve FGD oxidation in a plant in India.
Data analytics with the help of subject matter experts (SME) can provide guidance to minimize down time and maintenance costs. However, if the voluminous analytics are made available and utilized in decision systems accessed by disparate plants and industries and if there is sufficient interconnection among SMEs then the decisions will be empowered by the Industrial Internet of Wisdom (IIoW). The SMEs who focus on a system can them become subject matter ultra-experts (SMUES).
The interconnection among industries is important. Take power plants and wastewater plants as an example.
- Municipal wastewater plants could provide the water for use as cooling and process water for power plants
- Municipal sewage sludge can replace some of the solid fuels used in power plants
- Co-location of power plants and municipal wastewater plants would allow for waste heat from the power plants to be used for accelerated nutrient removal and sludge drying in the wastewater plants
- New methods for mercury removal are equally applicable to municipal sludge incinerators and coal fired boilers
- Improvements in liquid, gas and free flowing solids analyzers have applicability to both industries
- Automation and control system improvements for combustion, scrubbing and liquid solid separation in one industry can be used in the other
McIlvaine has complied Decision Guides on coal fired power: 44I Coal Fired Power Plant Decisions
You can view a recorded presentation on IIoT and Remote O&M for municipal wastewater at
For more information on IIoT and Remote O&M click on N031 Industrial IOT and Remote O&M